Monday, August 04, 2008

last night, today, and tomorrow

Last night, I learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube. Today, I took a nap on the Frist South Lawn. Two seemingly unrelated experiences: one full of intrigue, algorithms, yet ultimately a single destination; the other, deceptively mundane, yet is the springboard of a sensorial overload. One organizing chaos into order, the other seeking serenity within the storm.

As two heavy eyelids sealed off my visual sensors, I felt the warm summer breeze brushing up against my skin and the fresh scent of newly-cut grass nosing its way into my receptors. This form of relaxation is rare considering I spent four academic years on this campus. Weather is a factor, of course, but perhaps more so the busy schedule that so many of us inflict upon ourselves is the cause.

My secondary senses heightened. And as the insects and birds and whatnot go about their business, acting as my personal lullaby, even the sudden whirring sound of a lawn mower seemed a welcome intrusion into my casual slumber. There is nothing more refreshing than a Power Nap, as us seasoned college students (grads) know. There is also nothing more thought-provoking than a public self-incision of one's life, as us half-hearted bloggers (should) know.
Keeping a diary supports personal development.

— Stefan Sagmeister
I received an early birthday present today; a very thoughtful and timely gift (much thanks). Timely because, when is there a more appropriate time than shortly after graduation, to think long and hard about the question "What have you learned in your life so far?"

Well, for starters, I learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube (kudos to Srdjan) and now have a record of 2:14. I learned how to play Cranium (though my acting skills are pitiful). More importantly, I learned how to relax in times of stress and distress. Perhaps I learned it a little "too" well. The note in my gift reminded me that discipline really isn't everything.

In some ways, some fragments of life are similar to a Rubik's Cube. It's an interesting puzzle with a known solution, and I honestly find it extremely fulfilling when completed, yet paradoxically its formulaic nature causes the feeling of success to dampen quite quickly. As a result, the puzzle is reduced to a 1-dimensional race of speed. Repetition in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

There is of course inherent excitement in deducing the most effective solution to a problem, but a marginally better solution only generates a marginal sense of achievement. Other facets of life, however, are experiences akin to napping on the Frist South Lawn. Familiar places can supply uncommon sentiments. Re-examining the ordinary can yield fascinating insights. Relaxing breaks foster creativity (and energy).
“We spend so much of our time pursuing stuff that turns out not to matter, or worrying about stuff that turns out to be irrelevant. And when we have good ideas about how to be happy, they come to us through means very different from instinct—through long, difficult learning; through studying; through reflection; through spirituality; and through art.”

— Daniel Nettle, Things I have learned in my life so far
Discipline isn't everything. Life is snoozing under a tree on Frist South Lawn on a breezy summer afternoon, a leisurely-solved Rubik's Cube in hand.

No comments: